Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring! These turkey-stuffed bell peppers are the perfect meal for those days when you’re bored of eating healthy. Shhhh, your taste buds won’t suspect that this dish is low-carb and protein-filled. Serve over a bed of greens for a complete meal.
Here’s what you need…
- 5 organic bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- dash of salt and pepper
- 20 oz organic ground turkey, 99% fat free
- 1 organic tomato, chopped
- 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add a pinch of salt. Cut the tops off the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Place in the boiling water, using a spoon to keep them submerged for 3 minutes or until the skin is slightly softened. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the oil on medium. Add the garlic, basil, onion, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions begin to soften. Add the ground turkey and continue to heat until the meat is browned. Add the tomato and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Pour the spaghetti sauce into the turkey mixture and mix well. Add the cheese and mix until well combined.
- Stuff each prepared bell pepper with the turkey mixture and place on prepared baking sheet. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the bell peppers are tender.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 193 calories, 3 fat, 256mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 28g protein.